Local Producer Spotlights

Local Producer Spotlights

Mar 25

We may live in a subtropical hothouse, we may generally be known as the tourist capital of the world, and we may have a largely transient population, but here in Central Florida, we also have a thriving community of more-or-less-permanent residents who are gardening, farming, and raising animals. When we first discovered some of these local producers, Laura and I assumed they were the exceptions...

The Life of a Dirt Farmer

The Life of a Dirt Farmer

Mar 21

We went to our first Organic Growers’ Meeting last Wednesday, the monthly meeting hosted by the Simple Living Institute. Every month, they bring in a guest speaker and hold a plant raffle. We walked away with six plants, including lettuce, zucchini and swiss chard. We also brought a camera to record this month’s guest speaker, Tom Carey, owner of Sundew Gardens in Oviedo, Florida. The...

Building a Community Around Food

Building a Community Around Food

Mar 18

Happy food is about more than happy animals; it’s about happy ecosystems and, more importantly, happy people. Eating is something we all have in common, but not everyone is privileged enough to have a choice about how they enjoy it. Laura and I both grew up in families that took advantage of that choice. We ate dinner with our families and learned to love good food, good ingredients, and...

Recipes for Healthy Kids

Recipes for Healthy Kids

Mar 09

Laura and I are big fans of better food and nutrition in public schools. I just found this pretty neat competition to get healthier meals in school cafeteria – it pairs up participants with “actual” chefs to create original recipes that will be judged by a panel and voted on by the general public. Winners receive money and, I assume, a place in school cafeterias. Public voting...